Shipped aboard the freighter Wichita as Naval Armed Guard. While in transit across the Carribean the Wichita was torpedoed and sunk on 19 September 1942, with the loss of 40 Crewman and 10 Armed Guards.
Memorialized at the East Coast Memorial, NY, NY.
Wife: Mrs. Louise Elizabeth Prater, Rt 7, Knoxville
His Father…. Lee Prater
His mother….Nettie Belle Kidd Prater
Sister…………Mildred Prater Boling
Brother……….Beauford C. Prater
Children……..Roy Dewitt Prater who died in Vietnam in 1972 and Billy Jackson Prater
- Rank: Seaman Second Class
- Date of birth: 17 May 1908
- Date of death: 19 September 1942
- County: Knox
- Hometown: Knoxville
- Service Branch: Navy
- Division/Assignment: Freighter Wichita
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: East Coast Memorial, New York, New York
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XV, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Roy Prater
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.