Born 26 August 1918, Cocke, Tennessee
Killed in Action 15 September 1944 in Italy
Pvt Phillips lived at High Point, Guilford, North Carolina at the time of his enlistment on 31 December 1940. He is buried at Jonas Phillips Family Cemetery, Cocke County, Tennessee.
The Newport Times, June 15, 1949
Pfc. Zack Phillips killed in action September 15, 1944 in Italy. Remains will arrive in Newport Friday and will be taken to the home of his brother McKinley Phillips at Hartford. Surviving; mother, Mrs. Rachael Phillips of Sevierville, four brothers, Audris of High Point, N.C. McKinley of Hartford, Tenn., Horace of Cleveland, Ohio, Ray of Sevierville; one sister, Mrs. Stanley Gates of New Jersey. Five half brothers, Lester, Sidney, Glenn, Sherman and Earl Phillips all of Sevierville. Funeral Sunday at Phillips Cemetery. Military services at Grave.
- Rank: Private
- Date of birth: 26 August 1918
- Date of death: 15 September 1944
- County: Cocke
- Hometown: Newport
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Jonas Phillips Family Cemetery, Cocke County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VIII, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Zack Phillips
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.