Worley Stanford Markland was born on 11 April 1921 at Carter, Tennessee.
Son of Nathaniel James Markland and Hattie Burrow
Worley Markland entered service in June 1942, and served in both the South Pacific and the Atlantic. Before entering service he was employed at the North American Rayon Corporation. He had another brother, Cpl. Darnadille Markland, who was stationed at Fort Bragg, N.C.
Worley Stanford Markland served on the USS Hugh W. Hadley (DD774). He was killed in action and buried at sea at Okinawa, Japan.
Memorialized at Honolulu Memorial, Hawaii. He also has a memorial stone in Highland Cemetery, Elizabethton, TN.
- Rank: Torpedomans Mate Second Class
- Date of birth: 11 April 1921
- Date of death: 11 May 1945
- County: Carter
- Hometown: Elizabethton
- Service Branch: Navy
- Division/Assignment: USS Hugh W. Hadley (DD774)
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Honolulu Memorial, Honolulu, Hawaii
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VIII, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Worley S. Markland
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.