Woodrow Wilson Smith was the son of Robert Lee Smith and Ethel Mae Walker. He was married to Lois Mildred Mathis and father of Mildred Loretta Smith. He enlisted with the Air Corps at Camp Forrest in Tennessee on 24 October 1942.
Aircraft A-20X-44 with serial number 44-336 departed from Grosseto, Italy on a combat mission to Porte.
Pilot, Captain Bliss L. Nehr
Bombardier, 2nd Lt Frederick A. Dallas
Gunner, S/Sgt Willie A. Dohy
Gunner, Woodrow W. Smith
Woodrow Smith was initially buried at Bari Cemetery at Bari, Italy and reburied at Sicily-Rome American Cemetery, Nettuno, Italy, H, 8, 57
Foto Courtesy; Frosty Froggers
- Rank: Staff Sergeant
- Date of birth: 17 February 1917
- Date of death: 24 March 1945
- County: Hamilton
- Hometown: Chattanooga
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 84th Bomber Squadron, 47th Bomber Group, Light
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Battles: Sicily-Rome American Cemetery, Nettuno, Italy,
- Awards: Air Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster, Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Sicily-Rome American Cemetery, Nettuno, Italy
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XII, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Woodrow W. Smith
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.