Private First Class William Woodrow Gault was born at Knoxville, Tennessee. He was the son of Urban Sylvester Gault and Ida Bell Fraker. He enlisted in the military on October 18, 1941 in Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia. He served in the 41st Infantry Battalion, 2nd Armored Division. He was killed in action on Monday, November 27, 1944. He is buried in the Netherlands American Cemetery in Margraten, Netherlands (Plot C, Row 16, Grave 18).
Clinton Courier News, January 4, 1945
Mr. and Mrs. U.S. Gault of Clinton, RFD 4 received word Dec. 10 that their son, Pfc. William W. Gault had been killed in action in Germany on Nov. 27, 1944. Pfc. Gault was the oldest of 10 children having been born April 29, 1917. He was inducted into the Army Oct. 18, 1941 and had been overseas in the infantry since March, 1943. A brother, Howard Gault, is in the Army in Italy, and a brother-in-law, husband of Mrs. Leola Smith is in camp in Arizona. Other brothers and sisters are Mrs. Irene Stedman, RFD 4, Bertha, Flora, Idabel, Roxie, Ruby and Austin, all at home.
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 29 April 1917
- Date of death: 27 November 1944
- County: Anderson
- Hometown: Clinton
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 41st Infantry Battalion, 2nd Armored Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Netherlands American Cemetery, Margraten, Netherlands
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VI, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor William W. Gault
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.