William David Shepherd was born 18 May 1894, Greeneville, Tennessee to William G. and H. Lydia Shepherd. He entered the service on 14 November 1917 at Fort Oglethorpe in Georgia and sailed to Europe on 1 January 1918. He was wounded on 5 October at the Argonne Forest and from that time until his death, was in different hospitals in France and the United States. He had been shot through the abdomen, the bullet perforating the intestines. On account of his unusual strength and determination, and the splendid care he received, it was hoped that he might recover, but after the long struggle of months, he died 31 August 1919 at the U.S. Genereal Hospital #1 in the Bronx, NY.
Pvt Shepherd is buried at Mount Olive Cemetery, Greystone, Greene County, Tennessee.
- Rank: Private
- Date of birth: 18 May 1894
- Date of death: 31 August 1919
- County: Greene
- Hometown: Greeneville
- Service Branch: Army
- Division/Assignment: Company H, 26th Infantry Regiment, 1st Division
- Theater: Europen
- Conflict: World War I
- Battles: Argonne Forest
- Burial/Memorial Location: Mount Olive Cemetery, Greystone, Greene County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar III, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor William D. Shepherd
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.