William Riley Burchfield, from Cades Cove, was born on May 26, 1889. He was the son of Ezekial Burchfield and Amanda Louisa Powell and the brother of Dollie L. Burchfield, Gardner Burchfield, Nancy A. Burchfield and Zeke Burchfield. Husband of Mollie Novella Boone and father of Riley Earl Burchfield Prior to joining the military, he was employed as a farmer by James Powell of Washington County. He sailed to Europe on September 15, 1918 and died October 7 at sea of pneumonia.
- Rank: Private
- Date of birth: 26 May 1889
- Date of death: 7 October 1918
- County: Blount
- Hometown: Cades Cove
- Service Branch: Army
- Division/Assignment: 2nd Provisional Company, September Auto Replacement Draft
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War I
- Burial/Memorial Location: Cypress Hills, NY
- Location In Memorial: Pillar II, Top Panel
- Sponsored by: Elton Jones
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.