Technician 4th Class William O. Chums was born in Line Creek, Spalding County, Georgia in 1917. He lived with his widowed mother, Nora Chum, his grandparents, Clark and Ida Jackson, and his 8 year-old uncle, Anderson Jackson. By 1930, he was living in Alcoa, Tennessee, with his grandmother and her husband, Lenwood Walker, and Anderson Jackson. He enlisted for service in World War II on March 9, 1942, in Fort Benning, Georgia. He served in the European Theater in the 384th Engineer Battalion. He died non battle on Friday, August 31, 1945. He is buried in Lorraine American Cemetery in St. Avold (Moselle), France (Plot D, Row 47, Grave 21). His death is listed as Death Non-Battle.
- Rank: Technician 4th Class
- Date of death: 31 August 1945
- County: Blount
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 384th Engineer Battalion
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Burial/Memorial Location: Lorraine American Cemetery, St. Avold (Moselle), France
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VI, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor William O. Chums
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.