William Lee Philpott was born in McMinn County, Tennessee, 4th child of 10, born to William and Ethel Ona (Daugherty) Philpott. He was the grandson of William Lafayette and Caroline Catharine (Gordon) Philpott and brother of; Emma Ruby, Callie Elvira, Bruce Lafayette, Ethel Florence, George Washington, Ella May, Donnie Rae, Myrtle Sue, and Sarah Elizabeth Philpott.
William L. Philpott was killed in action on Panay Island. He had been in service 17 months. Pvt Philpott took basic training at Camp Fannin in Texas and went overseas 10 months ago.
Buried at Manila American Cemetery, Philippines, G, 9, 35
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 8 March 1917
- Date of death: 19 March 1945
- County: McMinn
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 185th Infantry Regiment, 40th Infantry Division
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Manila American Cemetery, Fort Bonifacio, Manila, Philippines
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XV, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor William L. Philpott
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.