William Jackson Roberts
Born 24 June 1947
The Kingsport Times, 29 January 1968
Area Marine is Vietnam War Victim
An area Marine private has been killed in Vietnam the family was informed this morning.
PFC William Roberts, 20, Cooks Valley, was killed by sniper fire in the Quang Nam Province while on patrol. He was a scout dot handler stationed in Da Nang.
He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. C.C. Roberts, Cooks Valley Rd., and was married to the former Mary Josephine Bowley. Roberts was the father of a year-old child, Valerie Dee.
Roberts was graduated from Dobyns-Bennett High School in 1965 and attended East Tennessee State University prior to his enlistment.
He arrived in Vietnam December 28 and had been in service for a year and a half.
PFC – E2 – Marine Corps – Regular
Length of service 1 year
His tour began on December 21, 1967
Casualty was on January 27, 1968
In Quang Tri, South Vietnam
Hostile, Groud Casualty,
Gun, Small Arms Fire
Body was recovered
Vietnam Wall Panel 35E – Line 50
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 24 June 1947
- Date of death: 27 January 1968
- County: Sullivan
- Service Branch: Marine Corps
- Conflict: Vietnam
- Burial/Memorial Location: East Tennessee Cemetery, Blountville, Sullivan County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XXIV, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor William J. Roberts
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.