Private First Class Brown was with Company B of the 301st Engineer Battalion (Combat), which was the combat engineering unit of the 76th Infantry Division.
The 76th ID went through combat in the ETO, beginning in late January 1945, and the division fought in the Ardennes and northern Alsace, in the Rhineland and Central Germany, and ended up in May 1945 in Saxony. Given that he died in July 1945, he must never have fully recovered from wounds he suffered.
Died non battle
Buried at Greenwood Cemetery, Chattanooga, TN
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 8 September 1908
- Date of death: 2 July 1945
- County: Hamilton
- Hometown: Chattanooga
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 76th Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Burial/Memorial Location: Greenwood Cemetery, Chattanooga, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XI, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor William J. Brown
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.