William Herbert Davenport was born in Wolf Creek, Whitley County, Kentucky,6 June 1909. He lived much of his life in Bristol, Tennessee, where he was a mail carrier. He enlisted in the U.S. Army during World War II and served as a postal clerk with the Army’s 68th Postal Unit of the Army Postal Service. He died in active service on August 31, 1944, from non-battle causes in England of cellulitus.
His first wife was Margaret Hazel Brown Cole. He was widowed when Hazel died Sept. 29, 1932. His second wife was Mildred Whitaker.
Buried at Glenwood Cemetery, Bristol, TN
- Rank: Technician Fourth Class
- Date of birth: 6 June 1909
- Date of death: 31 August 1944
- County: Sullivan
- Hometown: Bristol
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 68th Army Postal Unit
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Burial/Memorial Location: Glenwood Cemetery, Bristol, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XVIII, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor William H. Davenport
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.