William Harvey Barnes was born on 18 March 1920 in Bradley County, Tennessee to Joseph D. Barnes and Nannie Saylor.
Died 22 December 1944 in France
Buried at Shelby Hills Cemetery, Bristol, TN
9th Armored Infantry Battalion, 6th Armored Infantry Division
The Bristol Herald Courier, 29 October 1944
Pvt. William H. Barnes has returned to Ft. Meade, Maryland, after spending a fourteen day furlough, with Mrs. Barnes and their daughtes, Betty and Joyce at their home 904 Hill street and his parents, Mr. and Mrs. J.D. Barnes at Crandell, Ga. Pvt. Barnes was employed at the Big Jack Company in Bristol when called into service five months ago.
- Rank: Private
- Date of birth: 18 March 1920
- Date of death: 22 December 1944
- County: Sullivan
- Hometown: Bristol
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 9th Armored Infantry Battalion, 6th Armored Infantry
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Shelby Hills Cemetery, Bristol, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XVIII, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor William H. Barnes
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.