William Garnett Christian
Was the first casualty from the Harriman, TN, area in WW II. Christian was shipped aboard the USS West Virginia BB-48. Moored alongside the USS Tennessee on Sunday, 7 December 1941, at Pearl Harbor, when the ship was repeatedly torpedoed and bombed by Japanese Naval forces. He lost his life during the attack.
His body was returned to Harriman and he is buried in Willard Park Cemetery.
Wife: Mrs. Bertha Louise Christian of Long Beach, California.
Photo courtesy: www.honorstates.org
- Rank: Baker Second Class
- Date of birth: 30 October 1916
- Date of death: 7 December 1941
- County: Roane
- Hometown: Harriman
- Service Branch: Navy
- Division/Assignment: USS West Virginia (BB-48)
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Battles: Pearl Harbor
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Willard Park Cemetery, Harriman, Roane County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XVII, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor William G. Christian
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.