William Frank McKibben was lost in the sinking of the USS Asheville PG-21 by Japanese naval forces on March 3, 1942, 250 miles south of Java. This listing does not include the lone survivor, Fred Brown, who was picked up by the Japanese but later died in their prison camp on the Island of Celebes about March 15, 1945. William McKibben was officially declared dead on 25 November 1945.
Memorialized at the Manila American Cemetery, Philippines
Parents: Mr. and Mrs. William Leonard McKibben, Rt 4, Chattanooga
- Rank: Seaman First Class
- Date of death: 3 March 1942
- County: Hamilton
- Hometown: Chattanooga
- Service Branch: Navy
- Division/Assignment: USS Asheville
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Manila American Cemetery, Fort Bonifacio, Manila, Philippines
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XI, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor William F. McKibben
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.