William Chitwood was born September 1895, Winfield, Tennessee, son of Lindsey and Melda Chitwood. He entered the service September 6, 1918 at Huntsville, Tn and trained at Camp Wadsworth in Spartanburg, South Carolina. He sailed to Europe September 29, 1918 arriving on October 7. He died of broncho pneumonia on October 23 at Chaumont, Haute, Marne in France. He was initially buried near Chaumont.
- Rank: Private
- Date of birth: 8 September 1896
- Date of death: 23 October 1918
- County: Scott
- Hometown: Winfield
- Service Branch: Army
- Division/Assignment: Company D, 57th Pioneer Infantry
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War I
- Burial/Memorial Location: Chitwood Cemetery, Winfield, Scott County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar V, Panel
- Contact us to sponsor William Chitwood
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.