William Bushong was born at Morristown, Tennessee on 5 September 1892. He attended Maryville College at Maryville, TN. During World War I he served with Company K, 326th Infantry Regiment, 82nd Infantry Division. He participated in a number of battles, including the battle at Argonne Forest. He was gassed and in hospital for 30 days previous to his last battle. He was killed in action in the front line trench on 15 October 1918 in the Argonne (France).
William Decatur Bushong, Jr. was the only son of William D. Bushong and Maud B. McGee. The Bushong family descend from Dutch (German), Immigrants.
–Submitted by Rick Bushong
- Rank: Second Lieutenant
- Date of birth: 5 September 1892
- Date of death: 15 October 1918
- County: Hamblen
- Hometown: Morristown
- Service Branch: Army
- Division/Assignment: 326th Infantry Regiment, 82nd Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War I
- Battles: Argonne Forest
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington, Arlington County, Virginia
- Location In Memorial: Pillar III, Top Panel
- Sponsored by: The "Billy Bushong" American Legion Post 52, Morristown, Tennessee
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.