Private First Class Willard B. Caughron was born May 3, 1917. He graduated high school and by age 23 was living in Nashville and was an actor. Some military records indicate his last name as Caughran.
Willard joined the US Army on September 16, 1940 in Nashville, Tennessee and after basic training was assigned to the 502 Parachute Infantry, 101st Airborne Division.
Private First Class Willard Caughran was hit by machine gun fire from the rogue tank that was attempting to break back through the lines. He was killed on Christmas Day, December 25, 1944 at Champs, Belgium
He was returned home and is buried at Shiloh Memorial Cemetery in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee
The Knoxville Journal, January 20, 1945
Pfc. Willard B. Caughron was killed in action Dec. 25 in Belgium, according to word received by his sister, Mrs. Trula M. Christopher, 133 Bruce Street, Sevierville.
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 3 May 1917
- Date of death: 25 December 1944
- County: Sevier
- Hometown: Pigeon Forge
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 502nd Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Shiloh Memorial Cemetery, Pigeon Forge, Sevier County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XVII, Bottom Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Willard B. Caughron
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.