Wendell Turmon Moffitt was a signalman on the USS Lexington CV-16. He was killed at Tarawa, buried at sea 5 November 1944. The aircraft carrier USS Lexington was badly damaged by Kamikaze attacks off Luzon.
Memorialized at Manila American Cemetery, the Philippines.
Parents: Mr. and Mrs. Hascal Bouldin Moffitt, 201 12 Frazier Avenue, Chattanooga
- Rank: Signalman Third Class
- Date of death: 5 November 1944
- County: Hamilton
- Hometown: Chattanooga
- Service Branch: Navy
- Division/Assignment: USS Lexington (CV-16)
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Battles: Tarawa
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Manila American Cemetery, Fort Bonifacio, Manila, Philippines
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XI, Bottom Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Wendell T. Moffitt
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.