Waymon Luther Pope
Born 20 April 1925
Died 24 August 1944
U.S. Naval Reserve
Served on the U.S.S. Prince Georges (AK224). On 24 August 1944 he fell from staging to the floor of the drydock. His remains were taken to USNH, Navy #10 for disposition. He was returned from Oahu Halawa Hawaiian Islands in 1947. Buried at Chattanooga National Cemetery, Y, 257.
Parents: Mr.and Mrs. Henry Newt, Jasper, TN
The Jasper Journal, August 31, 1944
Mr. and Mrs. Henry Newt were notified last Friday by the Navy Department that their son, Waymon Luther Pope, had been killed in action on August 24 as a result of injuries sustained while in the performance of his duty and in the service of his country. His remains were interred in Allied territory, outside the continental limits of the United States.
- Rank: Seaman Second Class
- Date of birth: 20 April 1925
- Date of death: 24 August 1944
- County: Marion
- Hometown: Jasper
- Service Branch: Navy
- Division/Assignment: USS Prince Georges (AK-224)
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Chattanooga National Cemetery, Chattanooga, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XV, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Waymon L. Pope
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.