Wayland Elmer Cornwell was born on 22 July 1922, the son of Cloyd Lee Cornwell and Fannie Fern Crum.
Killed in Action 13 November 1944, France
Private First Class
359th Infantry Regiment, 90th Infantry Division, Company K
PFC Cornwell was killed during the assault on Fort Koenigsmacher, Metz, France.
Buried at Martha Sunderland Cemetery, Hamblen County, Tennessee
The Morristown Gazette Mail, 4 August 1948
Wayland E. Cornwell, age 22, of Talbott, was killed in action at Kerling, France on November 13, 1944. He entered the service on November 20, 1942. The remains arrived in Morristown this morning and were taken to Stetzer Funeral Home to repose until Friday afternoon at which time they will be taken to the home of his parents. Surviving are the parents, Mr. and Mrs. Cloyd Cornwell; three sisters, Edith, Jean and Marcella; six brothers, Hugh, Ross, J.C., Kenneth, Lowell and Billy.
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 22 July 1922
- Date of death: 13 November 1944
- County: Hamblen
- Hometown: Talbott
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 359th Infantry Regiment, 90th Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Martha Sunderland Cemetery, Hamblen County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar X, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Wayland E. Cornwell
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.