Walter Robert McBee was born in Chickamanga, Georgia to William W. McBee and Fidetta Calloway. Brother of Fred T. McBee. He married Dorothea Margaret O’Brien on 24 August 1943 in Tennessee.
He died non Battle 27 September 1943 at Georgia. He was killed piloting P-39N Airacobra #42-9724 when his craft stalled and spun out of control, a half mile west of the airfield. Second Lieutenant McBee served with the 59th Fighter Group, 488th Fighter Squadron, Thomasville Army Airfield, Georgia.
The Chattanooga Daily Times, 2 June 1946
Lt. Walter R. (Jack) McBee (1944) army air corps, died in plane crash in Bartow, Fla., Oct. 14, 1943. Survived by wife, Dorothy O. McBee, 115 Pinehurst Avenue, and parents, Mr. and Mrs. W.M. McBee, 2218 Bailey Avenue, Chattanooga.
- Rank: Second Lieutenant
- Date of birth: 27 July 1920
- Date of death: 27 September 1943
- County: Hamilton
- Hometown: Chattanooga
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 59th Fighter Group, 488th Fighter Squadron
- Conflict: World War II
- Burial/Memorial Location: Chattanooga Memorial Park, Chattanooga, Hamilton County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XI, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Walter R. McBee
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.