Born 17 December 1921
Died 2 March 1945
Buried at Evergreen Cemetery, Erwin, TN
305th Bomber Group, 422nd Bomber Squadron, 8th Air Force
The aircraft B-17G with serial number 42-97756 was on a heavy bombardment mission to the area of Bohlen in Germany. Sgt Rice was the Tail Gunner. The aircraft returned to AAF Station 105 after completion of the mission, with the body of Sgt. Rice. He died instantaneously, cause of death being perforating flak wounds in the right temple and right axilla, and a shattered right arm.
Sgt Rice was buried on 3 March 1945 in the American Military Cemetery, Cambridge, England. He was subsequently buried at Evergreen Cemetery, Erwin, TN.
- Rank: Sergeant
- Date of birth: 17 December 1921
- Date of death: 2 March 1945
- County: Unicoi
- Hometown: Erwin
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 305th Bomber Group, 422nd Bomber Squadron
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Evergreen Cemetery, Erwin, Unicoi County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XIX, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Walter L. Rice Jr.
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.