Walter Elmer York
Born 16 July 1918, Fentress County, Tennessee
Died 11 July 1943 – Italy
Son of Jessie Francis York and Margaret Angline Crisp
Walter E. York was killed in action on Ship USS LST-158 off shore of Red Beach, Licata, Sicily. After being bombed by a German aerial bomb on July 11, 1943. USS LST-158 earned two battle stars for WW II service. On report of burial from Division of Army cause of death is listed: Burned, his name tag was found on his body.
He is buried at the Sicily-Rome American Cemetery, Nettuno, Italy, D, 12, 1943.
- Rank: Technician 5th Class
- Date of birth: 16 July 1918
- Date of death: 11 July 1943
- County: Fentress
- Hometown: Allardt
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 41st Infantry Battalion, 2nd Armored Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Sicily-Rome American Cemetery, Nettuno, Italy
- Location In Memorial: Pillar IX, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Walter E. York
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.