Born 15 October 1920
Killed in Action 9 August 1944
Private First Class
654th Tank Destroyer Battalion
PFC Nelson was initially buried at the American War Cemetery, Neuville-en-Condroz, Belgium. He is buried at Corinth National Cemetery, Alcorn County, Mississippi together with TEC5 Henry Thompson, A, 5866.
The Knoxville Journal, January 29, 1945
Pfc. Walter C. Nelson, 24, son of Mr. and Mrs. W.M. Nelson of LaFollette, Route 1, was killed in action August 9, in France according to word received by his wife, Mrs. Nora Farris Nelson. He had previously been reported missing.
He volunteered for service in May, 1941 and was assigned to a tank destroyer battalion, going overseas in October, 1943. He participated in the invasion of Normandy. A brother, Sgt. Charles Nelson is stationed at Fort Lewis, Wash.
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 15 October 1920
- Date of death: 9 August 1944
- County: Campbell
- Hometown: LaFollette
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 654th Tank Destroyer Battalion
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Burial/Memorial Location: Corinth National Cemetery, Alcorn County, Mississippi
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VII, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Walter C. Nelson
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.