Private Stephenson was a member of Company H, 3rd Battalion, 7th Marines, 1st Marine Division. He was killed in action while fighting the enemy at combat outpost “Vegas” in North Korea on July 25, 1953.
The Chattanooga Times, October 20, 1953
Funeral services for Pvt. Virgil E. Stephenson, 18, who was killed in Korea July 25, will be held at the Oak Street Baptist Church in Soddy. Burial will be in National Cemetery. Full military honors will be accorded by the Chattanooga Marine Corps Reserve and member of the Organized Reserve Corps will serve as active pallbearers. A native of Chattanooga, Pvt. Stephenson and his parents lived at 818 Houston St. during his residence here. He enlisted in the Marine Corps in April 1952 and climaxed his recruit training at Parris Island, S.C., by winning the Marksman Medal. His rifle range score was 203 out of a possible 250 points. Pvt. Stephenson is survived by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Robert Stephenson, Flint, Mich.; two brothers, William and James Stephenson, Flint; a sister, Miss Rowlena Stephenson, Flint; a nephew, Roy Kendall, Flint, and a grandmother, Mrs. Roda Dodd, Daisy, Tenn.
- Rank: Private
- Date of birth: 30 March 1935
- Date of death: 25 July 1953
- County: Hamilton
- Hometown: Chattanooga
- Service Branch: Marine Corps
- Division/Assignment: 7th Marines, 1st Marine Division
- Conflict: Korean War
- Awards: Purple Heart, Combat Action Ribbon, Naval Unit Citation, Korean Service Medal, United Nations Service Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Korean Presidential Unit Citation, and Republic of Korea War Service Medal
- Burial/Memorial Location: Chattanooga National Cemetery, Chattanooga, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XX, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Virgil E. Stephenson
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.