Vestal Ray Cowan was born on 20 November 1932 to Ronda L. Cowan and Winnie Ethel Bunton.
Private First Class Cowan was a member of the 9th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division. He was killed in action while fighting the enemy in North Korea.
The Johnson City Press-Chronicle, December 17, 1951
Carderview – The body of Private First Class Vestal R. Cowan, who was killed in action in Korea August 27, will arrive in Johnson City Tuesday morning. He was the son of R.L. Cowan, Bridgeport, Ala. Cowan enlisted in the Army on November 27, 1950, and received his basic training at Fort Jackson, S.C., and Camp Stoneman, Calif. He went overseas on June 9, 1951 and served with Company D, Ninth Infantry Regiment of Second Division.
Other survivors include a sister, Rosa Cowan, Carderview; and a brother, Clinton Cowan, Pittsburgh, Pa.
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 20 November 1932
- Date of death: 27 August 1951
- County: Johnson
- Hometown: Carder View
- Service Branch: Army
- Division/Assignment: 9th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division
- Conflict: Korean War
- Awards: Purple Heart, Combat Infantrymans Badge, Korean Service Medal, United Nations Service Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Korean Presidential Unit Citation, and Republic of Korea War Service Medal
- Burial/Memorial Location: Bunton Cemetery, Johnson County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XXI, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Vestal R. Cowan
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.