The body of Pfc. Vernon Faye Stewart of Tellico Plains is back from France. Vernon was killed in the battle of St.-Lo on August 2, 1944. Vernon F. Stewart was returned from St. Laurent-Bayeux, France.
He is buried at the Knoxville National Cemetery, B, 6667.
Pfc. Stewart was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Robert L. Stewart of near Tellico Plains.
Besides his parents, he is survived by two sisters, Mrs. Carroll White and Miss Blanche Stewart, three brothers, Howard, Oran, and Lester.
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 12 October 1922
- Date of death: 2 August 1944
- County: Monroe
- Hometown: Tellico Plains
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: Infantry
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Knoxville National Cemetery, Knoxville, Knox County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XVI, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Vernon F. Stewart
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.