Born 11 December 1918
330th Infantry Regiment, 83rd Infantry Division, Company C
Age 25. Inducted U.S. Army on August 8, 1943. Killed in action on July 8, 1944. Attended Jones School, U. B. Church. Husband of Mrs. Mary Nell Shipley, 310 E. Church St., Greeneville, TN.
Buried at Andrew Johnson National Cemetery, Greeneville, TN, C, 146.
The Greeneville Sun, August 11, 1944
Pvt. Vern C. Shipley, 25, was killed in action July 8 in France according to a telegram from the War Department received Saturday by his wife, Mrs. Mary Nell Shipley of Greeneville.
He is survived by his wife, who was beforeher marriage, Miss Mary Nell Price, his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Sid Shipley, three sisters and one brother, Denver Shipley and one half brother, Pvt. Claude Cooter, of Camp Wheeler, Ga.
- Rank: Private
- Date of birth: 11 December 1918
- Date of death: 8 July 1944
- County: Greene
- Hometown: Greeneville
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 330th Infantry Regiment, 83rd Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Andrew Johnson National Cemetery, Greeneville, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar IX, Bottom Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Vern C. Shipley
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.