PFC Troy Elmer Mitchell, born April 13, 1923; died October 3, 1944 in Nancy, France. Member of Third Army.
-Submitted by James Pointer
320th Infantry Regiment, 35th Infantry Division, Company B
Norris High School Alumnus, Commemorated on plaque at Norris Town Center, Norris, TN
Buried at Andersonville Cemetery, Andersonville, TN
-Parents: Roscoe Caswell Mitchell and Maymie Susan George
-Sibling: Wanda Oueita Mitchell
Clinton Courier News, December 16, 1943
Pvt. Troy Mitchell has returned to his station near Nashville after a furlough visit with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Roscoe Mitchell of Andersonville. Pvt. Mitchell has been in the service 10 months. He is a graduate of Norris High School.
The Knoxville Journal, December 24, 1944
Pfc. Troy E. Mitchell has been reported killed in action in France, Oct. 2, according to a War Department message received by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Roscoe Mitchell of Andersonville. Private Mitchell had been in service 21 months, serving overseas since May.
Prior to entering the service, he was employed at Magnet Mills, Clinton. He was a member of Andersonville Baptist Church and a graduate of Norris High School.
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 13 April 1923
- Date of death: 3 October 1944
- County: Anderson
- Hometown: Andersonville
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 320th Infantry Regiment, 35th Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Andersonville Cemetery, Andersonville, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VI, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Troy E. Mitchell
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.