Tom Burnett Chrisman
Born 1 September 1924, Jefferson County, Tennessee
Died 15 September 1944
Buried at Swannsylvania Cemetery, Dandridge, TN
Son of Andy Chrisman and Elizzia Edmonds
1st Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, Weapons Company
Tom’s wife was Mary Elizabeth Conway. They had one son, Steven Chrisman. Steve lives in Rutherfordton, NC. Mary Elizabeth passed away this year.
–Submitted by Terri Runyan, niece
Tom Chrisman was a Marine who volunteered in the highest tradition of his native state to serve in a time of great conflict. He had just married his young wife when he was deployed to the Pacific and waded into the hell that was Peleliu Island in September of 1944. His young wife never remarried and passed into eternity with Tom seventy-two years later. All that remains is his name, etched into the smooth granite face of a stone column that protects it for anyone who wishes to see, remember and honor in the quiet and solitude of their thoughts.
–Contributed by Michael Sawyer
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 1 September 1924
- Date of death: 15 September 1944
- County: Jefferson
- Hometown: Dandridge
- Service Branch: Marine Corps
- Division/Assignment: 1st Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Swannsylvania Cemetery, Dandridge, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XII, Bottom Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Tom B. Chrisman
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.