Private First Class Tilman L. Filyaw, US Army, was assigned to the 28th Infantry Regiment, 8th Infantry Division. The Division arrived in the battle for Normandy across Omaha Beach on the 4th of July 1944. The Division entered combat on 7th of July fighting through the hedgerows and captured Rennes and then crossed the Ay River on the 26th of July. The Division then began its move to recapture the French city of Brest in September.
PFC Filyaw was killed in action on the 6th of September 1944. He is interred in the Brittany American Cemetery, H,2,9, St James, France. Awards include the Purple Heart.
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of death: 6 September 1944
- County: Rhea
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 28th Infantry Regiment, 8th Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Battles: Normandy Campaign
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Brittany American Cemetery, St. James (Manche), France
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XVI, Bottom Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Tillman L. Filyaw
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.