2nd Lt Harris was killed in action and was initially buried at Rookwood Cemetery in Australia. He was a crewman on a B-24 Liberator
Interment Date: 24 January 1949
Buried in the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific, A, 402
The Knoxville Journal, July 28, 1942
Navigation Cadet Thomas Jefferson McHarris, son of A.E. McHarris, was recently commissioned a second lieutenant int he Army Air Force at Turner Field, Albany, Ga.
The Knoxville Journal, Mrch 26, 1943
Word has been received by Albert E. McHarris, Route 9, that his son, Thomas J. McHarris was killed in action somewhere in the Southwest Pacific. McHarris last heard from his son, who was in a bomber squadron, on Feb. 14. Young McHarris was the first member of the ABC Bible Class to be killed in action. He will be honored at the Sunday morning meeting of the class at the Strand Theatre.
- Rank: Second Lieutenant
- Date of birth: 3 October 1920
- Date of death: 2 March 1943
- County: Knox
- Hometown: Knoxville
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 319th Bomber Squadron, 90th Bomber Group, Heavy
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Distinguished Flying Cross, Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Honolulu Memorial, Honolulu, Hawaii
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VIII, Top Panel
- Sponsored by: Jim and Mary McHarris
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.