Private Thomas Jefferson Church was born in 1920 in Georgia. Son of James Elbert Church and Martha L. Robinson. He lived in Goodson, Washington Co., Va with his father when he enlisted at Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia. Goodson is now Bristol, Va. His father was a farmer, and Thomas Church was a helper on his father’s farm. He enlisted on 3 July 1943 at Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia.
He was killed in action in 1944 in Belgium and buried in Bristol, Virginia. His body was not returned to his father until March of 1949.
Death Place: Manhay, Arrondissement de Marche-en-Famenne, Luxembourg, Belgium
- Rank: Private
- Date of birth: 8 October 1920
- Date of death: 26 December 1944
- County: Sullivan
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 32nd Armored Regiment, 3rd Armored Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Battles: Battle of the Bulge
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Mountain View Cemetery and Chapel Mausoleum, Bristol, Virginia
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XVIII, Top Panel
- Sponsored by: James Puckett
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.