Private First Class Thomas Blake (Cotton) Neal was killed in action on Iwo Jima, March 11, 1945 by Japanese sniper fire. He participated in the battles on Guam, Bougainville, and Iwo Jima. He was a machine gunner.
He entered the service March 8, 1943, and trained at Camp Elliott, San Diego, Calif. He had been overseas since Dember, 1943. He was graduated from Blountville High School and was an employee of the Tennessee Eastman Corporation before entering the service.
Mother: Mrs. Sallie Neal, Rt 3, Blountville, TN
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of death: 11 March 1945
- County: Sullivan
- Hometown: Kingsport
- Service Branch: Marine Corps
- Division/Assignment: 9th Marines, 3d Marine Division
- Conflict: World War II
- Battles: Iwo Jima
- Burial/Memorial Location: Tennessee
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XVIII, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Thomas B. Neal
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.