Starl Lambert Banks was born September 22, 1926 in Riceville, Tennessee. He attended grammar school and was a farm hand growing grain before he enlisted in the United States Army, He enlisted on November 17, 1945 at Fort Jackson, Columbia, South Carolina. He is buried at Niota Cemetery in Niota.
Corporal Banks was a member of the 17th Infantry Regiment, 7th Infantry Division. He was seriously wounded by the enemy in South Korea on February 19, 1951, and returned to duty on March 15, 1951. He was killed in action while fighting the enemy in North Korea.
The Chattanooga Times, July 18, 1951
Cpl. Starl L. Banks, 26, son of Joe Banks Sr. of Niota and the late Daphne Armstrong Banks, was killed in action in Korea June 11. The Department of Defense notified a brother, Charlece Banks of Niota, Route 2. The body is to be brought to McMinn County for burial. Cpl. Banks volunteered for service in World War II and spent some time overseas, being stationed in Germany. In 1950 he again volunteered for service in the U.S. Infantry and had been in Korea over one year when killed. He had previously been wounded twice in action and returned to duty. Surviving, besides the father, are four sisters, Mrs. Sim Fenix of Ohio; Misses Anna Lee, Barbara and Nancy Banks, all of Niota; five brothers, Clarence, Joe Banks Jr., R.L. and Donald Banks, all of Niota and Billy Banks of Athens.
- Rank: Corporal
- Date of birth: 22 September 1926
- Date of death: 11 June 1951
- County: McMinn
- Hometown: Riceville
- Service Branch: Army
- Division/Assignment: 17th Infantry Regiment, 7th Infantry Division
- Conflict: Korean War
- Awards: Purple Heart with Oak Leaf Cluster, the Combat Infantrymans Badge, Korean Service Medal, United Nations Service Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Korean Presidential Unit Citation, Republic of Korea War Service Medal
- Burial/Memorial Location: Niota Cemetery, Niota, McMinn County, Tennessee
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XXI, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Starl L. Banks
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.