Sidney Paul Arnold
Born 4 July 1919
Son of Edgar Waller and Eula Viola (Vida) Eblen Arnold
81nd Armored Reconaissance Battalion, 1st Armored Division
Lieutenant Arnold was graduated from Wheat High School and was attending Tennessee Polytechnic Institute when he volunteered for service in the Armored Reconnaissance Corps in April 1942. He had been overseas for 19 months and had seen action in North Africa and Italy. His company was the first to enter Bizerte, Ferryville, and Rome.
While in North Africa he received a citation for bravery and was promoted to first lieutenant for his outstanding leadership and helping to capture an enemy outpost.
Arnold fell in action against a German tank in Italy on June 30, 1944.
Picture from the Tennessee Polytechnic Institute, Cookeville, Tennessee, 1941
- Rank: First Lieutenant
- Date of birth: 4 July 1919
- Date of death: 30 June 1944
- County: Roane
- Hometown: Harriman
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 81st Armored Battalion, 1st Armored Division
- Theater: Europe, North Africa
- Conflict: World War II
- Burial/Memorial Location: Wheat Cemetery, Harriman, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XVII, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Sidney P. Arnold
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.