Samuel Thomas Byers
The Maryville Enterprice, October 4, 1945
Mr. and Mrs. Cecil Byers of Mentor have been informed by the Naval Personnel office, Washingto, D.C. that their son, Petty Officer S.T. Byers, gave his life in the service of his country on September 9th, 1945, while serving with a Construction battalion on Luzon.
Barest detals reveal non of the circumstaces relating to either the accident or dispostion of the body.
“Red” Byers, before entering the Seabees was employed in the mechanical department of the Aluminum Company. He finished Friesville high in 1939, attended business school in Knoxville in 1940. His many friends will remember that he had spent two birthdays and two Christmases in the South Pacific, participating in practically all of the major theater of action.
- Rank: Petty Officer
- Date of birth: 16 May 1921
- Date of death: 9 September 1945
- County: Blount
- Hometown: Maryville
- Service Branch: Navy
- Division/Assignment: 102nd Naval Construction Battalion
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Burial/Memorial Location: Middlesettlements Cemetery, Middle Settlement, Blount County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VI, Bottom Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Samuel T. Byers
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.