Enlisted on October 22, 1942, in Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia
He married Anna Waggoner Smith in 1942 in Knoxville and joined the 5th Army, 91st Infantry, 363rd Regiment that same year. Sam fought at Po Valley and was awarded a Purple Heart. He was killed in action at Bologna, Italy, on April 17, 1945. He is buried in Knoxville.
- Rank: Technical Sergeant
- Date of birth: 14 May 1922
- Date of death: 17 April 1945
- County: Knox
- Hometown: Knoxville
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 363rd Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Burial/Memorial Location: Greenwood Cemetery, Knoxville, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VIII, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Samuel H. Waggoner
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.