Robert Samuel Wohlford was born in 1896 in Virginia. He entered the service in June 1918 as a member of the University of Tennessee Training Detachment. His period of service in the army was brief, as he died October 9, 1918, at General Hospital No. 14, Fort Oglethorpe, GA, where he had been sent for medical treatment. He died of lobar pneumonia.
The body of Private Samuel Wolhford who died at Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia was received at the parlors of Carl R. Roberts Sunday morning and will be removed to his former home 333 Woodlawn Street where funeral services will be conducted this afternoon at 230 o’clock. Knoxville Counsel No 47 Jr. O.U.A.M. of which he was a member will have charge of the services at New Gray Cemetery.
-The Journal and Tribune, Monday, October 14, 1918.
- Rank: Private
- Date of birth: 9 January 1896
- Date of death: 9 October 1918
- County: Knox
- Hometown: Knoxville
- Service Branch: Army
- Division/Assignment: Company C, US Troop Detached Troop to US General Hospital
- Conflict: World War I
- Burial/Memorial Location: New Gray Cemetery, Knoxville, Knox County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar IV, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Sam Wohlford
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.