Roy LaFayette Sweet was born in August 1898 in Knoxville, Tennessee to Joseph F. Sweet and Anne Eliza Ricketts Sweet. Roy saw service in the Mexican Border as a member of the Third Tennessee. He was again called to the colors in 1917 as a member of Headquarters Company, 117th Infantry, 30th Division. Prior to sailing for France on May 11, 1918, Roy was stationed at Camp Sevier, S.C. He died of wounds received in action on October 8, 1918 in the operations at Premont.
Sergeant Roy L. Sweet is interred at C,6,2 Somme American Cemetery, Bony, France.
- Rank: Sergeant
- Date of birth: 30 August 1898
- Date of death: 8 October 1918
- County: Knox
- Hometown: Knoxville
- Service Branch: Army
- Division/Assignment: Headquarters Company, 117th Infantry Regiment, 30th Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War I
- Battles: Hindenburg Line, Bellicourt area
- Burial/Memorial Location: Somme American Cemetery, Bony, France
- Location In Memorial: Pillar IV, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Roy L. Sweet
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.