Roland Blufford Wofford was born in Menlo, Georgia to James Alexander Wofford and Mary Melinda Adams. He was the husband of Edna Gayton.
Tec 5 Wofford died non battle.
Buried at the Lorraine American Cemetery, St. Avold, France, F, 12, 29
The Chattanooga Daily Times, 29 May 1945
T5 Roland B. Wofford, husband of Mrs. Edna Wofford, of Hixson, Route 1, and son of Mr. and Mrs. Alex Wofford, Summerville, Ga., was reported killed in action in Austria on May 5.
T5 Wofford was serving with a tank battalion in Austria when he was killed. He entered the service in December, 1942, after having been employed at Lupton City. He had served nine months overseas with Gen. George Patton’s Third Army. Also surviving him are four brothers, Cpl. D.L. Wofford of Chico, Calif.; Eugene and Don of Summerville, Ga.; James Wofford Jr. of Atlanta; seven sisters, Mrs. Grady Crump, Mrs. Carl Johnson, Mrs. Frances Marshall, Miss Katherleen, Willodean and Barbara Wofford of Summerville and Mrs. Lester Brookshire of Fort Worth, Tex.
- Rank: Technician Fifth Class
- Date of birth: 8 August 1910
- Date of death: 5 May 1945
- County: Hamilton
- Hometown: Lupton City
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 808th Tank Destroyer Battalion
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Burial/Memorial Location: Lorraine American Cemetery, St. Avold (Moselle), France
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XI, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Roland B. Wofford
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.