Robert Taylor Burgess was killed in action October 8, 1918, in battle near Premont, France. He was a member of Company I, 117th Infantry, from his enlistment on September 2, 1917. He went through the training period at Camp Sevier, SC, and in France. In the fighting in Belgium, he was unscathed. His rank was Sergeant.
He was born In Athens, Tennessee, son of Martha Elizabeth Patterson. He died at the age of 21.
- Rank: Sergeant
- Date of birth: 17 December 1895
- Date of death: 7 October 1918
- County: McMinn
- Hometown: Pikeville
- Service Branch: Army
- Division/Assignment: Company I, 117th Infantry Regiment, 30th Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War I
- Battles: Bellicourt area
- Burial/Memorial Location: Old Friendship Church Cemetery, Spring City, Rhea County, Tennessee
- Location In Memorial: Pillar IV, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Robert T. Burgess
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.