Aircraft B-25D-1 with serialnumber 41-30179 departed from Durand Field, New Guinea on a strike mission to Cape Gourdon & Croissiles. The aircraft crashed about 15 miles southwest of Madang near Nuru River.
Pilot, 1st Lt Harry Serser
Co-Pilot, F/O Robert O. Kitchin
Bombardier-Navigator, 1st Lt Albert W. Heatter Jr.
Radio Operator-Gunner, S/Sgt Melvin C. Fearnow
Gunner, S/Sgt John Williams
Robert Kitchin was initially buried at USAF Cemetery Finschaffen #1 at British New Guinea and re-buried at Manila American Cemetery, Fort Bonifacio, Manila, Philippines, Plot F, Row 15, Grave 91. He entered the service from Mississippi.
- Rank: Flight Officer
- Date of death: 16 January 1944
- County: Blount
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 71st Bomber Squadron, 38th Bomber Group, Heavy
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Manila American Cemetery, Fort Bonifacio, Manila, Philippines
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VI, Bottom Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Robert O. Kitchin
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.