Robert Lucas Seal was born around 1922. He enlisted at Camp Forrest, TN, 1 Nov 1942
Died 18 Mar 1944
Buried Lorraine American Cemetery, St. Avold, France, K, 22, 21
Aircraft B-17F with serial number 42-30810 was on a operations mission to Oberpfaffenhofen, Germany. The aircraft was downed by a fighter and crashed near Dittishausen 5 km north of Loeffingen/Black Forrest, 2000 meters northeast of the village. S/Sgt Seal was initially buried on 24 March 1944 at Dittishausen together with two other crew members. In picture below, he is in back row, standing, second in from left.
Pilot, 2nd Lt Robert William Muirhead
Co-Pilot, 2nd Lt Robert W. Besse
Navigator, F/O Leonard Paul Hoefferle
Bombardier, 2nd Lt Frank Spencer Jr.
Engineer, T/Sgt John Irtis McMilan Jr.
Radio Operator-RG, Sgt Jerry Franklin Peck
Assistant Engineer-RW, S/Sgt Edgar J. Weislegel
Assistant RO-BT, Sgt Robert Zane Haase
Armorer-TG, S/Sgt Roert Bruton Blackburn
Assistant Armorer, S/Sgt Robert L. Seal Jr.
- Rank: Staff Sergeant
- Date of death: 18 March 1944
- County: Hamblen
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 338th Bomber Squadron, 96th Bomber Group, Heavy
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Air Medal, Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Lorraine American Cemetery, St. Avold (Moselle), France
- Location In Memorial: Pillar X, Top Panel
- Sponsored by: Steve Seal
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.