Seaman Robert Lee Lane (age 20) died of injuries suffered in an accident aboard his ship, the destroyer USS Herbert J. Thomas (DD-833), in the western Pacific. He was injured when he was over the side of his ship, and another ship sideswiped the destroyer.
Seaman Lane had attended Young High School. He last visited his home in December 1966. He was the son of Mrs. Pearl Leone Lane of Trotter Road.
Burial in Highland South Cemetery, Knoxville.
- Rank: Seaman
- Date of birth: 27 August 1947
- Date of death: 16 April 1968
- County: Knox
- Hometown: Knoxville
- Service Branch: Navy
- Division/Assignment: USS Herbert J. Thomas
- Conflict: Vietnam
- Burial/Memorial Location: Highland South Cemetery, Highland Park, Knox County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XXIII, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Robert L. Lane
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.