Robert Lee Griswold was born on 29 March 1920 at Chattanooga, Tennessee to Gillie and Grace Griswold. Husband of Marion Louise Evans and father of Peggy Lee Griswold.
He died on 31 March 1945. S/Sgt Griswold was initially buried at the American War Cemetery Margraten in the Netherlands. Buried at the Chattanooga National Cemetery, Y, 517.
289th Infantry Regiment, 75th Division
The Chattanooga Times, April 12, 1945
Listed missing in Germany since March 31 was S/Sgt Robert L. Griswold, Husband of Mrs. Louise Evans Griswold, 1904 Wilson Street, and son of Mrs. Grace Griswold, 2207 Rossville Boulevard.
In the service approximately 30 months, Sgt. Griswold, graduate of Central High School, and missing since the last of March in Germany, recently was awarded the Bronze Star for heroic achievement in action in Europe. He was assigned to overseas service approximately six months ago. He is the brother of Edward Griswold, Chattanooga and Mrs. Jean Savagem 2207 Rossville Boulevard.
- Rank: Staff Sergeant
- Date of birth: 29 March 1920
- Date of death: 31 March 1945
- County: Hamilton
- Hometown: Rossville
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 289th Infantry Regiment, 75th Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Bronze Star, Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Chattanooga National Cemetery, Chattanooga, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XI, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Robert L. Griswold
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.