Robert Lee Chambers Jr. enlisted May 21, 1943 in Camp Forrest, TN. Served at the Reception Center at Fort Benning, Georgia. He died non Battle. He drowned in Evarts lake in the San Hill area.
The Knoxville Journal, February 28, 1944
Cpl. Robert L. Chambers Jr., 19, son of Mr. and Mrs. Robert L. Chambers, was drowned at Fort Benning Ga., Friday. Survivors: parents; brothers, Howard F. Chambers and Dewey W. Roberts, a forster brother; grandfather, John Black, Maryville. Body will lie in state at Jarnigan Funeral Home for three hous preceding funeral service. Burial in Knoxville College Cemetery.
- Rank: Technician Fifth Class
- Date of birth: 1 August 1924
- Date of death: 25 February 1944
- County: Knox
- Hometown: Knoxville
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Conflict: World War II
- Burial/Memorial Location: Knoxville College Cemetery, Knoxville, Knox County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XIV, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Robert L. Chambers Jr.
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.