Robert Houston Norris served on the USS Marblehead (CL12) in September 1942 and was transferred to the USS Intrepid (CV-11) on 16 August 1943. He went missing on duty at gun station in number 15 Gun Tub starboard side at 0011, 17 February 1944, when an explosion occurred from an enemy torpedo at about Frame 194. The explosion sheared the bolts securing the gun tub to the hull allowing the tub and its occupants to drop into the sea at Lat. 07-23-00 North, Long. 153-32-00 East.
Robert H. Houston was officially declared dead on 18 February 1945 and is memorialized at Manila American Cemetery, Fort Bonifacio, Manila, Philippines.
Hello, Robert Norris was my Great Uncle. Any info that you can supply would be greatly appreciated.
–Submitted by James E. King
- Rank: Boatswains Mate Second Class
- Date of death: 17 February 1944
- County: Blount
- Service Branch: Navy
- Division/Assignment: USS Intrepid
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Manila American Cemetery, Fort Bonifacio, Manila, Philippines
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VI, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Robert H. Norris
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.