Robert Freeman Mitchell was born in Celina, Ohio. He was killed in action at Sommerance on 15 October 1918 by flying shrapnel while passing through shelled area and initially buried at an isolated grave at Commune St. Juvin, Ardennes. He is buried plot B, row 44, grave 18, Meuse-Argonne American Cemetery, Romagne, France.
He was a member of the Class of 1919 at Columbia University Law School.
- Rank: Second Lieutenant
- Date of birth: 3 May 1896
- Date of death: 15 October 1918
- County: Greene
- Hometown: Greenville
- Service Branch: Army
- Division/Assignment: 328th Infantry Regiment, 82nd Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War I
- Battles: Lorraine, Meuse-Argonne, Champagne
- Awards: Silver Star
- Burial/Memorial Location: Meuse-Argonne American Cemetery, Romagne, France
- Location In Memorial: Pillar III, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Robert F. Mitchell
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.